Online Midterm Maths Course for 6th Class Students
Wednesday 28th and Friday 30th October 2020
For the first time, The Institute of Education has designed a specific maths course for 6th class students improve their mathematical understanding and know-how. This course will include an introduction to algebra with emphasis on problem-solving. Problem-solving is always very difficult for primary school pupils and algebra often receives less focus than areas like fractions-decimals and percentages, which have to be covered in a lot of detail to support understanding. Aligning with the curriculum and extending into application of new learning, this course will provide a foundation for pupils’ study of algebra and problem-solving in secondary school.
This course will be supported by The Institute of Education’s legendary class notes, which support tuition. These will be provided free of charge in advance of the course. Please allow five working days for delivery.
Students attending our 6th Class Online Midterm Maths Course receive the following benefits:
- Live classes delivered by our expert teachers.
- The opportunity to interact with teachers and ask questions during all online live classes.
- Comprehensive course notes.
Below you will see a general outline of what will be covered on each day of the course.
- Problem-solving activity (Which doesn’t belong?) Reasoning and justification.
- Integers and Identifying positive and negative numbers on virtual number line
- Adding simple positive and negative numbers on virtual number line. Application within word based problems.
- Further steps – explanation on concept of subtraction (Not in standard curriculum)
Short break where students are asked to think about all the words associated with word problems and operations
Rules and properties
- X / + – Make the number activity (Countdown style)
- Simple properties and rules about brackets and priority of operation
- Identify relationships and record symbolic rules for number patterns
- Deduce and record rules for given number patterns
- Applying within word-problems
- Introduction to variables
- Explore the concept of a variable in the context of simple patterns, tables and simple formulae and substitute values for variables
- Role of an = sign (Solving for variables)
- Practice using variables – Translating to word problems using language of maths discussed previously
Short break – Complicated word problem left up for anyone who would like to work through
- Solving word problems with use of variables
- Translate word problems with a variable into number sentences
- Solve one-step number sentences and equations
This course will run over two 90 minute classes for a total of 3 hours tuition.
|Maths||Wednesday & Friday||12:30pm - 2pm|
|Number of Subjects||Total Cost|
- Credit Card payments accepted
- 10% reduction for the second and subsequent members of the same family, enrolled on the same courses. Please contact our office at 01 661 3511 to avail of this discount.
- Fees are non-transferable
Please click on each question below for an answer:
Q: How long is each course?
A: This course runs over 2 days, Wednesday & Friday. It will consist of 2 classes of 90 minutes each.
Q: Is it possible to receive copies of the Institute’s class notes?
A: Yes. Our online classes are supported by the Institute’s exam-focused class notes which will be delivered to students homes FREE of charge. Please allow five working days for delivery.
Q: How will I access my online courses?
A: We will email you a link to the live classes for which you are enrolled, along with a unique password. Please allow one working day from time of booking.
Q: Who do I contact if I have difficulty accessing my online classes:
A: If you experience difficulties accessing your classes please contact email@example.com