Reaction to Leaving Cert 2022 Irish Paper 1 (Higher Level) by Dr. Michael Casey, Irish teacher at The Institute of Education.
Overall, this was a very fair paper that put students and their lives and experiences front and centre.
The choice of topics that appeared across the paper gave plenty of scope for students to write about things that matter to them.
There was a definite social and political twist, and students who like social and political issues had an opportunity to discuss these topics.
There was an excellent choice of titles in the essay section.
- Irish society today. This was a fantastic title and gave students plenty of scope to talk about topics such as crime, healthcare and homelessness.
- The influence of social media on people. This was a lovely, very student-centred question.
- Ireland and the European Union. This question was slightly more challenging. It catered for students who like politics, giving them scope to discuss topics such as Brexit, Northern Ireland and even Irish as a working language in the EU.
- The life of a young person in Ireland – is it getting better or worse? Again, this was a lovely, very student-centred question.
- My heroes. A plural question, this gave students an opportunity to tell us about their heroes.
In this section students had the option to write about Gratitude or Silence is golden.
DEBATE / SPEECH
Within this section students had a choice of a speech or debate.
The theme for the debate was Equality in Ireland. There was plenty of scope here for students to agree or disagree, and a lovely range of topics for them to talk about such as homelessness and healthcare.
The speech was My experience of the education system. Again, a very student-based theme, that allowed them to talk about their experiences of education.