Senior Cycle Study Skills Course
15th and 29th October – 2:00 to 3:30pm
Want to learn how to get more organised and stay focused throughout the year? Our Senior Cycle Study Skills Course introduces students from 4th, 5th, and 6th Year to the key skills they need to study effectively during the new school year. Packed full of expert, practical advice, this study skills course shows students how to be more productive and efficient with their work and revision, developing important learning skills and good study habits.
An ability to study effectively is a critically important determinant of academic success. The Institute of Education’s Study Skills Course is an intensive 3 hour programme taught over 2 x 90 minute sessions, supported by dozens of hours of online resources and exercises to ensure students maximise the impact of their study effort. Students can choose to attend an onsite class or watch the live stream.
The tutor for this course is Angela Curran.
The course will cover the 8 interconnected elements of effective Study Skills:
- Growth Mindset – Your mindset is the set of beliefs that influence how you understand yourself and other people. It shapes how you think, feel, and behave in any given situation
- Motivation – Motivation is what drives your behaviour. It is responsible for the initiation, intensity, and persistence of your efforts in all aspects of your life, including study.
- Memory – Memory refers to the processes that are used to acquire, store, retain, and later retrieve or recover information.
- Goal-setting – A goal is an aim that you strive to attain. The act of goal setting helps to increase motivation, focus attention and complete tasks effectively. All of this contributes to enhanced academic performance.
- Organisation & Time Management – Time management and organisational skills focus on your ability to effectively and efficiently plan and use your time. Effective time and organisational management can maximise both your work and relaxation periods. This is done by enhancing your focus and reducing procrastination and study-related stress.
- Study Method – Study approach focuses on your ability to absorb, remember and recall information when needed. These skills focus on where, how and what you study and are related to enhanced work engagement and academic success.
- Exam Technique – Exam Techniques are the skills you use in an exam to help you achieve your desired goals. These skills can help identify gaps in knowledge, enhance exam time management and improve academic performance.
- Lifestyle – A healthy balanced lifestyle involves how you feel, eat, exercise, relax and sleep. Your physical and mental wellbeing contribute to higher psychological, social and cognitive performance.
The in-class tuition will be supported by dozens of specifically designed exercises and tools devised to help students acquire, improve and hone the skills required to study effectively. These online resources are unique and a vital part of the overall programme. These resources also allow students revisit aspects of the course when relevant, in the run up to holidays, reviewing the time and organisation resources or in advance of school, mock or state exams, students will be able to review the tools and content related to exam technique. This course will provide support to students throughout the academic year.
Understanding of the 8 elements of Study Skills, and an ability to use that understanding to improve academic results, is the outcome students will achieve from enrolling on this this course. This course will make you a better student.
The fee for this course is €120.
- Credit Card payments accepted.
- 10% reduction for the second and subsequent members of the same family, attending the same courses.Please contact our office to avail of this discount.
- Fees are non-transferable.
Study Skills Course
Senior Cycle Study Notes
Study Skills- Advice on Exam Timing and Content
Study Skills- Some Key Tips for Exam Preparation
Study skills basics for the last three weeks...
How to draw an idea map...
Study Kit Essentials: How To Make A Timetable
Study Kit Essentials: How to take good notes
Study Kit Essentials: Past Papers