Creative Department

At The Institute of Education, the teachers in our Creative Department are committed and experienced, and encourage students to be skillful, driven and passionate in their chosen creative field.

These skills are valuable in any career and can especially be developed through the arts. Art, Music and DCG are an excellent choice of subject for a growing number of students, with the surge in demand for graphic designers, digital illustrators, multimedia artists, animation and many other creative and digital careers.

Our Art studio is designed to be the perfect environment where students can experiment, explore and enjoy their Art studies. Our Art teacher has extensive experience of the State Examination System having acted as an Examiner and Chief Advisor at both Higher and Ordinary Level.

 

Why study DCG for the Leaving Certificate?
DCG is one of the recognised STEM subjects on the curriculum at Leaving Certificate level. It is a very beneficial subject for students hoping to study engineering, maths, computer science, technology or design at third-level.

What sort of student does DCG suit?
This subject is particularly suited to students who enjoy and have a good aptitude for maths, applied maths, physics and spatial reasoning.

What is the approach to teaching DCG at the Institute?
40% of the overall Leaving Certificate grade is attributed to an assignment that is undertaken in 6th year. Students are driven, focused and all aim for full marks in this section. It usually takes four months to complete. The other 60% of the grade is attributed to an Applied Geometry theory paper that deals with logical and abstract reasoning. Regular testing and homework is a constant feature of classes in this section, and students are provided with precise, exam-focused notes for every topic covered.

Students studying Music at The Institute of Education can avail of one-to-one singing lessons and performance classes with a professional opera singer. Our highly qualified teachers act as examiners for the Royal Irish Academy of Music. The Institute has a dedicated music room equipped with a piano, keyboard and note-board and stocked with state-of-the-art multimedia computers to assist in the music technology element of the current syllabus.

 

School Newsletter

Join our mailing list to get the latest news and courses on offer.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

School Newsletter

Join our mailing list to get the latest news and courses on offer.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.