Recently our 5th year Home Economics students prepared some absolutely delicious profiteroles as their last task before the summer holidays. Check out some of the photos of these wonderful creations as they were being made below.
Follow the recipe below to create something equally scrumptious over the June Bank Holiday weekend!
- 600 ml double cream
- 1 tblsp icing sugar
- 175 g good quality plain chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 4 tblsp water
- 15 g butter
For the choux pastry:
- 85 g unsalted butter
- 200 ml cold water
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 110 g plain flour
- pinch salt
- 4 medium free range eggs (beaten)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F / Gas 6).
- First make the choux pastry. Melt the butter with the water in a large pot over a medium heat, then add the sugar and beat everything with a wooden spoon.
- Increase the heat and add in the flour and salt in one go, the remove the pot from the heat and beat the mixture vigorously until a smooth paste is formed.
- Keep stirring until the dough dries out and pulls away from the side of the pan.
- Transfer the pastry to a large bowl and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes, then beat in the eggs, a little at a time, stirring constantly until the paste is smooth and glossy.
- Continue adding the egg until you have a soft dropping consistency (you may not need all the eggs to get to this stage).
- Lightly oil a large baking tray.
- Dip a teaspoon into some warm water and spoon out a teaspoon of the profiterole mixture onto the baking tray.
- Dab the top of the mixture with the wet spoon to help make the pastry crisp.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and prick the base of each profiterole and put back on the baking tray with the hole facing upwards and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- The warm air from the oven helps to dry the middle of the profiteroles.
- Prepare the filling by lightly whipping the cream and icing sugar until soft peaks form.
- Use a piping bag to pipe the cream into the holes of the profiteroles.
- Melt the chocolate with the water and butter over a pan of boiling water and stir the mixture until smooth and shiny.
Arrange the profiteroles on a serving dish and drizzle with hot chocolate sauce.